Thursday, June 2, 2011

C-sections: The One Thing You Should Take to Surgery

I don’t like c-sections. I don’t know many women who do. However, sometimes they are medically necessary. According to recent studies, the probability of your birth being a cesarean section is about 1/3. So, just in case, you should think about how you would like things to go if you have to have this kind of delivery.
When I had my first baby, one of the most important things for me was that I didn’t want our new baby to be out of our site. I told my husband to follow our little girl wherever she went and not to take “no” for an answer. Thankfully, the hospital I delivered in did everything, such as bathing, weighing, etc. in our room right next to me.
If you have to have a c-section, things will be very different. The actual birth only takes about five minutes, then your baby has to leave the OR. I’m not sure how you feel, but I am not comfortable leaving my newborn baby with people I have never met before.
Therefore, when I am asked what I think every woman should take to the hospital with her, my answer is: a second person.  When I delivered my son, I had my husband and my doula with me. I had a discussion with my OB beforehand, telling him that I would love to have two people in the OR with me, in case a c-section became inevitable. It did and my doctor let both of my birth partners stay with me. My beautiful baby boy was born (for the complete birth story, click here). After I got to see him for a brief minute, they whisked him away. My husband went with my baby, to make sure that he was safe and to start bonding with him. Thankfully, I was not all alone on the operating table when they patched me up- my wonderful doula was by my side, keeping me calm and easing my fear.

If you can arrange it, take someone to the OR with you in addition to your husband/ partner. I found it so comforting and reassuring at a time when you’re in emotional and physical turmoil over having a cesarean birth.

No comments:

Post a Comment