Friday, January 13, 2012

Horse Therapy

As I wrote in my last post, I’ve been a little down these last few months. Then one day, during one of my German lessons (I teach German, by the way…), my student was telling me about her horses. She was just so excited about them and so happy telling me all her stories. It brought back many memories of when I used to ride and of how happy it made me.
I decided right then and there to get back in the saddle again. I started looking for a place where I could lease a horse. The more I thought about it and the more I researched, the more I started feeling as though leasing wouldn’t be enough for me. I realized that I wanted a horse of my very own. At first, I thought it would be financially impossible. But the further I looked into horse ownership, the more I felt as though it was something we could afford.
I know what you’re thinking- she’s lost it now! And maybe I have. But for the first time in a long time I felt excited about something that would be just for me. My husband is getting ready to start his pre-retirement work schedule, which means I will have a lot of spare time to spend with a horse of my own. I have never had this much freedom and will probably never have it again. It may seem irrational, but I want to make the most of this time and use it to do something I love.
I’ve been looking at lots of horses online and in person. I found a beautiful mare that I wanted to buy, but the owner changed her mind and took the horse back off the market. It was getting really tiring and frustrating not being able to find another horse that I felt comfortable around.
Yesterday, things changed. Suddenly, there was a horse that could possibly be a match. Today, we drove out to meet him and he was lovely! Tomorrow, we are going to pick him up for a trial and if all is good, I will be a horse owner in just a few days. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

2 comments:

  1. Far from irrational. Totally rational. A well thought out decision with tons of positive consequences. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you decided to get back into the saddle. Horses are wonderful therapy. There is a reason why special needs children take horse therapy. My daughter who is special needs is in a program where they use horses as therapy. It has worked so well for that we went out and bought a horse. I find myself going on rides during the day. It helped me so much with my stress. Enjoy your time with the horse.

    ReplyDelete