Monday, October 17, 2011

Trying to Refocus

I am slowly discovering how to prioritize and make life easier for myself. There are still many things in my life that I could probably let go of, but I’m taking things slowly and really taking the time to evaluate what is important to me and what isn’t.
The things that are important to me are relatively few: my family, my friends, and helping other people in need.
I’m sure most of you understand the significance of family. I would be nothing without them. My husband and children mean the world to me! I also love the support of true friends. By true friends I do not mean people I occasionally see and talk to. I mean people who know me just the way I am and accept me that way. People I could call any time of day if I needed to talk. Genuine friends.
Helping people in need is a little more tricky. I have always had trouble distinguishing between the people who honestly need help and those who just use me. But I’m getting better.
 I am also learning that the more I free myself of things that burden me, the more energy I have to devote to the things that are important to me. My tendency to lie in bed awake at night, worrying about the state of the world and all its sadness, only knows one antidote: action! Only if I am able to change things for the better- be they ever so small- am I able to get a good night’s sleep.
The other night I had a revelation. No matter how awful the horrors of this world are, there really is no use in me dwelling on them, paralyzed by sadness. I am unable to change everything. I am unable to make everything and everyone good and everyone healthy and happy. However, I can instead focus my energy on the changes that I CAN make, and start making things better for people.
First, I have to think of my own needs, physically and emotionally. I have to recover and find my energy again. Then, on to greater things. At least that’s the plan…
"The power of one man or one woman doing the right thing for the right reason, and at the right time, is the greatest influence in our society."
---Jack Kemp

No comments:

Post a Comment