Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Recipe Tuesday: Pork Tenderloin à la Crème

Sorry for the poor picture quality- both kids were screaming...


I am not a big fan of pork. However, I decided that I could no longer deprive my poor husband of eating pig. I found a delicious recipe that I hope you will enjoy. I have to admit that I loved it and ate two big plates full. It is, as always, Gluten free and relatively simple to make.

Ingredients:

1 whole pork loin, if possible without added ingredients, fresh from the butcher
4 shallots, finely diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
4oz bacon, cut into small squares
6-8oz mushrooms, sliced
2 cups cream
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup dry red wine
Salt
Pepper

·         Cut the tenderloin into medallions. Add salt and pepper on both sides. Preheat oven to 200°F.
·         In a large skillet, heat the butter and oil at medium-high heat until sizzling. Brown the medallions well on both sides. Remove them from the skillet and put them in the preheated oven.
·         Sautee the shallots, garlic, mushrooms, and bacon in the skillet until the mushrooms are tender.
·         Add the wine, then the cream. Let it reduce for about 10 minutes, adding salt and pepper to taste.
·         Put the tenderloins back into the skillet (also pour in any juices that have accumulated in the oven), reduce the heat, and simmer for another 10 minutes.

This is a German recipe, so the traditional side dishes are Spätzle or potato dumplings (Knödel), which are not widely available in the US. We served the tenderloin with mashed potatoes and green beans.  I hope you enjoy!

Recipe translated and adapted from http://www.chefkoch.de/rezepte/212331088862372/Schweinelendchen-la-Cr-me.html

1 comment: