Sunday, February 6, 2011

My Sunday Resolution

I gathered some suggestions from friends as to what topics they would like to read about in the future. They were allowed to pick any topic in existence, yet most of them picked a parenting/ family related topic. I completely understand this- as a SAHM, this is the topic that is on my mind and heart most of the time. I wish our world would reflect this more.
I have been wondering lately why the world’s number one priority is not children. If you are a parent, I’m sure you’ll understand what I mean. When people have children, most of them are changed forever. Your children and their happiness and well-being are the most important things for the rest of your life.
Those of you who haven’t had children (not yet or just don’t want to) probably think I’m crazy. I’ll try to find a comparison you can relate to. We’ve all been head over heals in love before, right? To the point where everything else becomes totally unimportant; it is all engulfing. Having a child is like that, but stronger. Of course, it’s not a romantic kind of love. It is a different kind of love, but also a lot more intense. And it never fades. Your child is always going to be your child, no matter what person they end up becoming.
My children are still very young and I can’t say how I will feel in the future, but right now I don’t ever want them to be away from me. My daughter goes to a MMO (Mom’s Morning Out) program twice a week for three hours at a time and every time I drop her off I miss her. I get incredibly sad just thinking about the day when my kids won’t need me anymore. I think I will always need them in a way…
What I’m trying to get at is this: if we (the parents in this world) all feel like this, then why is everything in our modern society set up to force us away from our children? We have to work without them, there are vacation spots we can’t take them to, we are supposed to sleep without them, have other people raise and educate them, etc. I wish the world were more child-friendly.
More importantly, why is there so much hatred in the world? I will never be able to grasp how people who love their own children can hate someone else’s. I wish there was a constant reminder somewhere that EVERY human being on this earth is somebody’s child.
My wish for this world is that no child ever has to put up with mistreatment, abuse, neglect, hunger, thirst, homelessness, war, or anything else harmful ever again. I hope that one day the mothers and fathers of this world will unite and make this a planet we feel comfortable leaving our children in.
Enough of my wishes. Maybe this Sunday we can all make a resolution to treat children better- our own and everyone else’s. Hopefully, if we start there, some day our world will be the perfect place for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment