Wednesday, August 1, 2012

BlogHer Book Club: The Chaperone



(We are still in the midst of moving and have no Internet at home, so I am publishing this courtesy of a fast food restaurant’s free wifi…)
BlogHer kindly chose me to review another book for their book club. This time, it was The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty. The reviews I read praised the book tremendously and the synopsis sounded interesting, so I had high hopes for this novel.
Unfortunately, I just didn’t like it very much. From the very first pages on I couldn’t get past the language the author used. Having read many books from the 1920s, which The Chaperone is supposed to take place in, I felt as though the author was writing in a much too modern way. Moriarty attempted to make it more authentic by constantly referencing historic details or items that were widely used during this era, but it always gave me the impression of being staged.
The story was relatively engaging and interesting. However, since I hadn’t heard of the actress Louise Brooks before reading this book, all the non-fictional details had no importance to me. Louise could easily have been replaced by a fictional character without making a difference to me as the reader.
As I mentioned earlier, the reviews have been great for this novel. I feel almost like a snob because I let the language of the book get in the way of my liking it. Therefore, I have decided to let you be the judge and am giving away a copy of the book. Please leave me a comment on my Facebook page (you’ll have to like it, too) and I will randomly select a winner on 08/08/2012.
Please also check out the BlogHer discussions surrounding The Chaperone- you will find that most readers did not agree with me…

This is a paid review for BlogHer Book Club, but the opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment