Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day as a Day of Peace

My amazing husband guarding the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

Memorial Day is a day of reflection, when the fallen soldiers from all US wars are remembered. Unfortunately, we are not only remembering soldiers that fought many decades ago, we are remembering those who have fallen in combat recently in wars that are ongoing. There are men and women who have died within the past week who need to be remembered…
I cannot imagine the pain and suffering families have to go through who lose their loved ones in a war. I pray that I will never know the feeling. There are so many families in the past few years that have had to say good-bye to their fathers/ mothers/ brothers/ sisters/ husbands/ wives/ sons/ daughters, etc.-  forever.
On this day, I feel as though we should not only remember, but should make a resolution to make this world a more peaceful place. So that our children will spend Memorial Day thinking of soldiers fallen long ago, as opposed to people they went to school with. Let’s make this world a better place to live in. Let’s end the wars and not start new ones.
I know this is utopian, but I honestly wish that there will soon be a Memorial Day on which the US is not fighting any wars. On which there are no families here who are worrying about their deployed loved ones. On which there will be no more freshly grieving families. Is that too much to ask?

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one
- John Lennon

No comments:

Post a Comment