Friday, September 21, 2012

I Suck at Photography!

I’ve been trying to get the hang of my DSLR camera for ages now. I feel like I’m getting nowhere and it’s soooooooo frustrating! To be honest, if something frustrates me too much I usually just quit. However, I love photography so much that I am determined to get better at it.
I especially suck at getting the shutter speed right. My pictures are almost always underexposed, which makes them look dull and dark. It’s a special kind of disappointment when you pull up photos that you thought would be fantastic only to find that they are all too dark…
I will keep working at it, though. I have received some wonderful advice, especially from the fabulous Veronica Armstrong, on how to improve my shots. I will keep reading and practicing until I hopefully some day produce pictures that I actually like. I want vibrancy you can’t look away from.
What are your tips for achieving the ideal exposure?

Here are some pictures I took yesterday at a beautiful location in Orlando, the Harry P. Leu Gardens. I have lightened them up as much as possible without washing them out.












6 comments:

  1. You're doing so great and I'm not just saying that. How long have you been at this? Pick one thing to work on. Master it and move on. Theres always something to learn and no one masters every aspect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've probably been shooting in manual since the beginning of the year. I guess I'm just impatient and I want to know everything now... Thanks for stopping by :-)

      Delete
  2. I don't think your photographs are bad. I'm a novice and still learning. I still overexpose my images and lose detail in blown highlights. It's a process. I do wish it were faster though!

    Two books that really helped me are Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson and Luminous Portrait by Elizabeth Messina. That last one was recommended by Veronica.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nicole! I am actually reading Understanding Exposure at the moment. I will definitely check out your other recommendation as well.

      I feel the same- I just wish the process was faster!

      Delete
  3. pretty! If i get frustrated I usually quit too. haha

    ReplyDelete